Yes, Smith-9th Street reopened today and I do plan to visit it soon but felt no reason to trundle down to Brooklyn today since I already go down there twice a week (I was there yesterday) so that updated photo essay will have to wait for next week. Instead I spent quite a lot of time today finally rebuilding every station in the Rockaways (including the southernmost 3 that are closed) to finally add the H train to my website, I also included some photos I took two years ago on a trip to witness the rebuilding process. I’ve been out to the Rockaways three times to photograph the H and the subway there after Sandy, the first trip saw the R32s that ran for a month before they were replaced by R46s that I photographed on my previous two visits. I’ve also added Artwork pages for some of the stations, others I need to revisit, again for adequate artwork coverage (or their closed).
- Far Rockaway-Mott Av–(40 station photos and 8 of the art)
- Beach 25TH St-Wavecrest–(22 Photos plus artwork page with 5)
- Beach 36TH St-Edgemere–(36 photos plus a new artwork page with 8)
- Beach 44TH St-Frank Av-(26 Photos plus a new artwork page with 9)–This station has the strange situation of half the Rockaway-bound platform closed with an amusing sign
- Beach 60TH St-Straiton Av-(3 Photos plus an artwork page with 7)
- Beach 67TH St-Gaston-(37 Photos)–now renamed Beach 67 Street Arvene by The Sea, my only quick photo stop on the R32 H Trains
- Beach 90TH St-Holland–(15 Photos)
The three closed stations on the Peninsula and Broad Channel:
- Beach 98TH St-Playland–(4 Photos)
- Beach 105TH St-Seaside-(16 Photos)–from two years ago of the subway station with the lowest ridership getting rebuilt
- Rockaway Park-Beach 116TH St–(19 Photos)
- Broad Channel–(5 Photos)–didn’t actually revisit the station as its closed, just a few I hand’t uploaded yet
The final two stops on the ‘mainland’ on the branch that leads out to the Rockaways:
- Howard Beach-JFK Airport–(8 Photos)–including the unique, temporary fare control area in the normal emergency exit to and from the bus lot to catch the Shuttle bus to the Rockaways
- Aqueduct-North Conduit Av–(21 Photos)–from a few years ago when the new casino was under construction, today its covered in ads and I need to revisit.