Salt Lake City (UP Depot)
Home<Utah<Historic Railroad Stations<Salt Lake City UP Depot

The Union Pacific Depot in Salt Lake City was completed in 1909 and served passenger trains until the eve of Amtrak in 1971 as well as being used as the regional office for the railroad. It saw no passenger service for 6 years. When Amtrak came back to Salt Lake City first with the Pioneer in June 1977 it terminated using the UP depot, the Desert Wind joined it in 1979 and in 1983 when the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad decided to join Amtrak and discontinue there Rio Grande Zephyr the stop became a major Amtrak hub where the cars of the Desert Wind, and Pioneer where added or removed from the California Zephyr. The Union Pacific Railroad did not like Amtrak as a tenant, wanting more space in the depot for themselves and in October 1986 Amtrak trains moved to the Rio Grande Depot leaving this building deprived of Passenger trains (Angelyn Hutchinson, "Amtrak trains move a few blocks to new home in Rio Grande Depot," Deseret News, October 26, 1986). In 1998 the last freight train moved outside the depot and in 1999 the tracks started being removed to create the Olympic plaza located just below the station (where the metal ceremonies were held) and today the depot is the center piece of the Gateway Shopping center.

Streetside of the station looks like it could still possibly be a train station, along N 400 W at the end of W South Temple, with the light rail curving south (and an extension north for the Airport is under construction) covering all the streets outside the station. The top of the central former waiting room (now the great hall) has slightly lower lying wins on side like most downtown stations. These were used for back offices by the UP. The north wing is The Depot, a live music venue. The south wing is still various offices. The Union Pacific logo and name, still lit at night dot the tall slate roof of the brick building. The central great hall is still open to the public and can be rented out for weddings and other events. To reach it there are two sets of doors from the street that lead to short corridors before the great hall is reached. This is the former waiting area. It has an arched ceiling with individual light bulbs arching around it, gold trim highlights everything. On the north and south ends are two murals by San Francisco artist John McQuarrie. One depicts a steam engine and the arrival of the railroad in 1869 (the year above it). The other is of covered wagons arriving in 1847 when the first Latter-day Saints with Brigham Young arrived. Stained glass is on the western side of the building above tall windows that used to shine out to the platforms. These depict bison, a man on a horse, a steam engine train, a stagecoach, and the construction of a city. The doors here today lead out to a plaza and steps down to the olympic legacy plaza with its dancing fountain and patriotic music with shops are all around.
Photos 1-13 on 6 February, 2012 14-39 on 7 February, 2012, 39-53 on 4 February, 2013

1910 Denver & Rio Grande Depot|1909 Union Pacific Depot|AmShack
Page 1|Page 2|Page 3
The facade of the historic station
Looking up to the UP logo above the awning at the entrance to the station
A chandelier in the entrance corridor to the station
Plaque for Japan relations
The stained glass windows above the doors out to the mall
The 1847 arrival mural
The former trackside of the station, now has a sign for The Gateway, the mall it leads out to
The depot behind the shopping mall
Looking across the current day railroad tracks and across the mall to the depot
Light rail construction outside the depot
GP38-2 #841 attached to a FURX hopper car and a caboose
Close-up of the UP logo above the depot
Page 1|Page 2|Page 3
1910 Denver & Rio Grande Depot|1909 Union Pacific Depot|AmShack
Home<Utah<Historic Railroad Stations<Salt Lake City UP Depot

Last Updated: 9 April, 2012
This Website is maintained and copyright © 2003-2019, Jeremiah Cox. This website is not affiliated with any transit provider. Please do not remote link images or copy them from this website without permission. Contact the Webmaster