Today's Tacoma Dome Sounder Station is located alongside Freighthouse Square. Freighthouse Square is the historic Milwaukee Railroad's westernmost freight terminal but has been turned into a shopping center. The little branch into this station that rises off the main BNSF line onto a wooden trestle was the only place on Sounder where trains use new trackage until the extension to Lakewood opened on October 8, 2012. Beyond the station the tracks go across a modern concrete ROW with some grade crossings and some underpasses. The Sounder stop itself consists of a single platform that serves the north one of two tracks which is directly along the southside of the Freighthouse Square Building (opened in 1909 as the westernmost freight terminus of the Milwaukee Road), now a collection of eclectic businesses. The platform has a few modern glass canopies and some modern metal lampposts. The platform is accessed via either the grade crossing from East D Street at the southern end of the platform or through the Freighthouse Square Building itself. This is Sounders only enclosed waiting area and has ticket machines along with entrances at both ends, one out to the platform and the other out to 25th Street across this street from the Tacoma Link Station the two massive parking garages (2,283 spaces in total) that serve the station, and a Transit Center, a hub for Pierce Transit.
Photos 1-2 taken on 12 July, 2006, 3-13 taken on 14 October, 2011, 14-38: 11 April, 2014
Last Updated: 26 May, 2014