Albany, Oregon is an Amtrak Station located at the transportation center and transfer point for the small, basically two-route local bus system. The stop serves the Coast Starlight and two daily Eugene Amtrak Cascades Round-trips. The station was first served under Amtrak when the Coast Starlight began stopping at the station with the January 8, 1978 timetable when it was added as a flag stop. The station is surrounded by a bus loop with a modern illuminated, tall clock tower separate from the depot and a 70 total space parking lot (20 short term, 50 long term according to Amtrak.com). There are a few sheltered benches for waiting bus passengers. A new building serves Albany Transit. The depot was constructed by the Soutern Pacific Railroad in 1909 and has been continuously used. It was rededicated in 2006 when vacant surrounding buildings were removed creating the parking lot. This depot has wooden benches, a Quik-Trak Kiosk and a ticket and baggage office. It is open from 8:00am to 11:30am and 12:00pm to 5:45pm. Baggage service is provided for the Coast Starlight and Northbound Amtrak Cascades Train #504 only; the depot is closed for the 3 other two evening southbound and early morning northbound train departures. The depot leads out to a long side platform that has a low fence in places and non-gated openings out to two tracks, but just one platforms.
Photos taken on 17 October, 2011
Last Updated: 19 December, 2011