Morris Plains is another historic Morristown Line Station. The current station, shelter and freight building was built between 1915 and 1916 in the Richardson Romanesque style by Frank J. Niles, the architect of the railroad when the line was grade-separated. The station has two ground-level side platforms that can accommodate 7 cars for the two track line that begin at the underpass of Littleton Road and run south. Here there is a single staircase up to each platform. The New York-bound platform has the station's main 117 space parking lot directly at the same level as the platform that extends back to the intersection of Speedwell Avenue and Littletown Road with a district entrance. The middle of the parking lot contains the station's relatively small single story station house with brick walls, arched circular windows and a Spanish tile roof that extends away from the main building on each side to cover small porch areas that provide the only shelter to waiting passengers and contains TVMs. Inside is a small waiting room with two wooden benches along a few walls that are tiled for their lower half in brown tiles, the upper portions painted. There is a closed ticket window (it was open until around 2010) and restrooms at one end. The exact waiting room hours are mostly unknown but roughly weekday mornings only.
Under one of the station's porches a staircase leads down to a pedestrian tunnel to the opposite platform. The tunnel has concrete walls and is in decent condition. This leads to an area beneath the brick shelter along the Hackettstown-bound platform on a concrete pad that juts out from the embankment this platform is on (normally grassy). This shelter has the same design as the depot except the waiting area is no longer open. A staircase leads up to an arched doorway exit within the shelter after a few steps up to an intermediate landing. This intermediate landing leads to a small exit in the concrete pad of the shelter with the wooden remains of a former awning. Along this side of the station is a smaller, more narrow (two rows of cars) 76 space parking lot. This parking lot begins with a driveway from Littletown Road and gradually angles uphill until it's at the same level as the southern end of the platform.
Just north of the passenger station on the opposite side of Littleton Road's underpass is a former freight station along the New York-bound track on Speedwell Avenue. It has the same design as the passenger depot and shelter and is now home to the Morris Plains Model Railroad Club.
All Photos taken on 21 November, 2013