Newton Highlands is one of two 'D' branch stations that still has its historic Boston and Albany Railroad Station house. This depot was built in 1887 and is now home to a dentist and other types of professional offices. The tracks here are in an open-cut beneath local streets so the depot has two levels and is along the outbound platform. The inbound platform has both the standard wooden enclosure of the 'D' Branch and the modern Charlie enclosure. Each platform still just has the wide yellow line but each also has a mobile-lift for ADA boarding procedures. Access both to the outbound platform is via a steep ramp down from Station Avenue next to the depot and a ramp down from the SE corner of Station Avenue and Walnut street that crosses the tracks on a bridge just beyond the outbound ends of the platforms.
Photos 4-13 taken on 15 December June, 2011 and 14-17 on 16 December, 2011
Type 7 LRV #3626 at Newton Highlands has passengers cross the outbound tracks to the inbound tracks to transfer to the LRV after taking a shuttle bus. Trains were terminating here requiring the bus because of construction
Type 7 LRV #3613 enters revenue service at Newton Highlands after switching ends and tracks just beyond the station at a set of crossover switches
Stepping off of a train at night
Plaque for the history of the depot
A T-post at the station entrance
Rocks along one of the two platform entrances
A closed entrance to the depot
The main station entrance
The canopy off of the depot is all the amenities for waiting outbound passengers
A closed staircase is behind the wall
Last Updated: 7 July, 2011
This website is not affiliated with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. Their official website is here
This Website is maintained and copyright © 2011, Jeremiah Cox. Please do not remote link images or copy them from this website without permission.