Fifth Avenue is an original San Diego Trolley Station that doesn't seem to have changed much since what I presume was its original layout. It was though originally called Gaslamp until this name was recycled for the station Gaslamp Quarter at the southern end of Fifth Avenue on the Waterfront Line which opened in 1990. The station is along a portion of C Street that has been closed to regular motor vehicles and is exclusively used by trolleys. The station runs between 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue and consists of two side platforms each with a single red canopy. Red fences provide separation from the sidewalks alongside the platform which serve downtown businesses.
The station was closed for rebuilding from December 17, 2012 until Spring 2012 to accommodate the new low floor LRVs, this project included replacing the red canopies with more modern glass shelters on each platform plus installing new black fencing with grey mesh sides
Photo 1 taken on 15 March, 2008; Photos 2-9 taken on 20 March, 2011; 11 & 12: 21 March, 2011; 13: 22 March, 2011, 14-20 on 22 June, 2013
A view of the simple Fifth Avenue Station at night as a train of U2 cars stop at the station.
U2 #1024 is the last car of an Old Town-bound Blue Line train that leaves the Fifth Avenue Station with the sun setting quickly.
SD100 #2034 leaves the station
The simple two sidewalk extension platforms of the station
SD100 #2079 runs through downtown
Darkness view of U2 #1037 stopped
Passengers wait for trains in the station with its original red canopies
Looking down the street to two Orange Line trains of S70s stopped in the station
S70 #4025 stops at the modernized station
S70 #4025 closes its doors
S70 #4025 on the Orange Line begins to leave
S70 #4025 leaves the station to continue onto Santa Fe Depot on the Orange Line
Looking across to the modernized platform
Last Updated: 5 July, 2012
All photos are by Jeremiah Cox
This website is not allifiated with the San Diego Trolley, there official website is here, or any other transit provider
This Website is copyright © 2003-2012, Jeremiah Cox. Please do not remote link or copy images from this website without permission. Contact the webmaster